Resurrection Day Thoughts

Written yesterday

     I believe isolation started for us on March 11th, which means that I'm on day 33 of staying home. I haven't set foot in a store or restaurant. Haven't been to any gatherings and everything on my calendar was canceled.

     I've questioned whether or not I should be concerned that isolation hasn't been challenging for me at all. Should I miss people more than I do? Is something wrong with me for actually enjoying these days at home to think and read and live uninterrupted? I don't know.

     A small part of me is worried about going back to real life. Worried that it will be overwhelming and more stressful than I remember. Worried that old patterns will suck us back in and we'll be stuck on a merry-go-round of social obligations. Life before isolation really was full of good things - things that I had chosen to do. I just hope we'll be more deliberate with our time usage and with our lives when this has passed.

     Providentially, I began a writing mentorship shortly after isolation, with an author I've read and respected for several years. For nine weeks I'll be reading and writing, Zooming, having my writing critiqued, and hopefully learning. I'm so thankful for this opportunity and the perfect timing of it is especially a gift. I'll finish the mentorship two days after my first class starts, and the transition from mentorship to school is another thing I'm grateful for. God's timing is always good.

     I know that this is a ridiculously hard time for many. My heart goes out to to the sufferers; those who are worried, those who are lonely or restless, those who are sick, those who have faced significant disappointment because of Coronavirus. Even my own cousin's wedding was derailed. Bridesmaids and groomsman didn't make it, neither did the musicians (that was us), the guest list was chopped in half, the day rescheduled. And then my first niece was born and none of us could rush to the hospital in excitement to meet her. I've had very little work since the virus took over, and I'm left to wonder how I'll save for classes and future needs. And that's a small thing compared to what some are experiencing. I can't possibly belittle the real trials people are facing.

     But I think a lot of good can come out of this time, too. I've already seen many ways in which it's refreshed and revived some of us. We're getting a break from our jobs and routines; a break that was needed. I'm hopeful that it will put a new spring in our steps to live harder and better for all the things that really matter; for the things with lasting value.

     It's Resurrection Lord's Day, and we were blessed to still gather for church this morning. The fact that the Sabbath is "set apart" has even more meaning since COVID-19 invaded the world. Everyone brought their own chairs, sat 10 feet apart from each other, and didn't fellowship afterwards. Rain pounded down on the roof for most of the service. But there was palpable security and strength in the room. As we got in our car to go home, Mom and I commented that it actually seemed like people were in better moods today, despite the uncertainty and sadness of the times. Maybe we are not taking each other for granted like we used to. Maybe a smile and a wave mean more now than they did before. Maybe we're rested and ready to care.

     We have a Savior who is alive. He's reigning 24/7 and He's totally sovereign and good. I haven't fully grasped the enormity of that truth but I've begun to, and today I'm sitting with the hugeness of it and feeling thankful for all that is, and even more thankful for all that is to come.


Comments

Popular Posts