TWENTY

Written on the 24th, posting a few days late.

     Today I turned 20, which feels a little strange and sounds much stranger. It was a day full of feeling very loved and warm and happy inside. There were thoughtful gifts and even more thoughtful words, and they all reinstated in my mind just how incredibly blessed I am to have the family I do, and how much I love each of them. 

     Twenty years on earth, and every year gets better and better. Harder, but better. More confusing, but better. More emotionally turbulent, but still better. 

     Today has been one of those days where I'm reminded that family is what matters most, and they're worth fighting for. No matter how many meaningful friendships I'll ever have, no matter how many friendships fizzle out or don't survive the storms, my family's still going to be here.

     So tonight, I'm thinking about Dad and Mom - everything they've sacrificed for us, every dream they've given up for our sakes, all the tears, hard work, prayers, money, and unconditional love they've poured into us.

     I'm thinking about my brothers - proud of the men they've become and thankful that they still take time to hug me, say sweet things, and care about what truly matters in life. 

     I'm thinking about my sister - how we've honestly become best friends throughout the years and how I can't imagine a life without her. I'm thinking about her strength and sass and watching her learn life lessons that I learned not too long ago about friendships, loyalty, and having realizations that change everything.

     I'm thinking about my sister-in-law and soon to be sister-in-law - so, so thankful that God blessed my brothers with them. They bring happiness and brains and laughter and more love to the family and I haven't a clue how we got so blessed.

     I'm thinking about my nephew - his delight in life becomes our delight; his laughter is ours. Watching him grow up is amazing and he just makes life so much better.

     I'm a bit excited for this next year, because I know God loves to surprise us. Whatever happens, good or bad, He is for us. Knowing that, I can't help but be happy tonight. 

Comments

Popular Posts