Quotes | February

I read as much as possible and am always jotting down quotes, so I thought what better way to keep track of some of my favorite ones than to do monthly compilations of them! Behold, the first installment:

From Elizabeth Elliot's book, Through Gates of Splendor (and a few other EE quotes)

- "In appreciation of beauty, mountains, music, poetry, knowledge, people, science - even in the tang of an apple - God is there, to reflect the joy of His presence in the believer who will realize God's purposes in all things."

- "Wherever you are, be all there, Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God." -Jim Elliot

- "It is peace to leave it all with Him, asking only that He do with me anything He wants, anywhere He wants, anytime that God may be glorified."

- "The deepest spiritual lessons are not learned by His letting us have our way in the end, but by His making us wait, bearing with us in love and patience until we are able honestly to pray what He taught His disciples to pray: Thy will be done."

- "I walked out to the hill just now. It is exalting, delicious, to stand embraced by the shadows of a friendly tree with the wind tugging at your coattail and the heavens hailing your heart, to gaze and glory and give oneself again to God - what more could a man ask? Oh, the fullness, pleasure, sheer excitement of knowing God on earth! I care not if I never raise my voice again for Him, if only I may love Him, please Him. Mayhap in mercy He shall give me a host of children that I may lead them through the vast star fields to explore His delicacies whose finger ends set them to burning. But if not, if only I may see Him, touch His garments, and smile into His eyes - ah then, not stars nor children shall matter, only Himself." -Jim Elliot

From Lydia Brownback's book, Contentment

- "If we ask God to create in us a hunger for Jesus, we can be sure that He will do so. In one way or another, He will begin to show us our need for Jesus. One of the ways God does this is to expose us to ourselves. Once we get a glimpse of who we really are, we will be awakened to our need."

- "When we feed on Jesus, the bread of life, we will find that although we continue to desire the good things of this life, our longing for them no longer dominates our hearts."

- "People are watching how you handle your pain. Hard is it is to embrace, the truth is that Christ is a lot more evident in how we handle our lack than in how we handle our gain."

- "Perhaps someone you love will come to faith tomorrow because of what they see in you today."

- "Paul's comparisons were never horizontal; they were always vertical. Christ was his source, his secret of contentment."

- "Investing in God and in people is to invest in happiness, because investing is what God has designed us for and called us to. That is why discarding people and places in search for happiness is actually to forfeit the very thing we have been looking for. If we will just stop searching and start investing, we will find the sort of happiness that will slay our restlessness."


Random (but very good) quote:

- "As hard as I've worked and as many successes as I've had I don't claim to be a spectacular violinist. I have my own weaknesses and have gone through many difficulties in my career. But God put it on my heart at a very young age that I would be a violinist and He gave me the passion to pursue my dream despite the struggles. Realizing that my hands and fingers work differently than normal and aren't exactly built to play the violin I have often wondered why He put this desire in my heart - if it's so difficult why would He choose this path for me? And then I understood - it's so His glory can shine through, to show that things are possible even in the most adverse circumstances. I shouldn't really be able to play the violin, but by His grace I have been able to do incredible things." - Chloe Trevor



Comments

Popular Posts