2 0 1 5

     I posted a review of 2014 at the beginning of this year. It was oddly quite therapeutic to write it, to think back on a very difficult year and still see all the good in life.

     I'm relieved (?) to say that 2015 really hasn't been as brutally hard as last year was. I am seeing that a big theme of 2015 was steadiness. Doing the same thing, day after day. Being faithful in little, and learning to enjoying the mundane. Yes, there were plenty of days consisting of discouragement and the like, but I knew that there was purpose in all of it, and instead of cringing, I just…lived through it.

     I don't mean that I survived or coped. I lived. What a beautiful lesson that's been - that you can be discouraged and confused and still have a wonderful life of resting and trusting in the Lord. As one of the sayings goes, we weren't created to be defeated, depressed, or downtrodden.

     It's no lie that Christians feel sad sometimes. We get depressed. We react poorly to things life throws at us. But, how terribly wrong it would be to stay there, in a place of defeat, ungratefulness, and hopelessness.

     Without question, the sweetest part of 2015 was welcoming the first baby in 16 years into the family. Seeing his tiny face for the first time on January 13th was a surreal, tearful moment. Who knew you could love someone like that? He's not even a year old, and he is so. loved. I'm just thankful for him. Thankful for the happiness he brings, for how he delights in things, for his tiny feet and cute teeth and the ridiculous amount of fun he is.

     I'm thankful for new beginnings, and putting things to rest. I'm thankful for having peace about the way things ended (or didn't) and having peace about uncertain futures. God answered pleas this year. He closed doors that shouldn't have been open and he opened new ones that could only be orchestrated by Him. It's been evident in 2015 that He truly cares for His children, and He cares about every detail in our lives.

     It is sometimes hard for me to see His love in the present, but it is never difficult to see in retrospect. I'm grateful for lightbulb moments that illuminate His handiwork in areas I would not have even though of.

     We were in a scary 4-wheeler accident this year. It left me with dozens of cuts and bruises, a dent in my leg, and many fitful nights. It was probably needed, though. Coming to a literal drop off and yet surviving was a darn good reminder that we are dependent on God for everything, including keeping us safe. It's too easy to take that for granted when you've never been in any sort of accident or frightening situation. I wish the flashbacks would stop, but they are definitely reminders to be more grateful.

     I can't say that I'm "excited" for 2016, but I am happy and thankful for this good season of life. I'd like to keep trying to find that state of mind in-between presumptuous and pessimistic. Life will never be perfect, but it will never be horrible, either. It can't be when you belong to Jesus.


Quotes that made me think:






   

 


Comments

Popular Posts