"Remember that she's getting older, too"

I just quoted a Taylor Swift song. So if you're one of those opinionated people who has decided to hate all things T Swizzle, 1) you may want to stop reading and 2) we might not get along super well. Not because I'm a huge TS fan, but because I don't understand people who decide to hate things passionately.

I've been listening to this song for years, and every time I hear that line I get a lump in my throat and resolve to be a better daughter.

You're in the car on the way to the movies
And you're mortified your mom's dropping you off
At 14, there's just so much you can't do
And you can't wait to move out someday and call your own shots

But don't make her drop you off around the block
Remember that she's getting older, too
And don't lose the way that you dance around
In your PJs getting ready for school



I think as young people, it's easy to assume that our parents minds are a lot different from ours. We think that they feel things differently, think differently, and are just so…different. Don't get me wrong - they are different! They're wise when we're not, and they have a lot more life experience and smarts than we ever will. And, they see things differently than we do. (Thank goodness.)

But, I also think that we forget to listen to our parents. You don't hit an age where you stop wanting to converse. You don't have 3 kids and suddenly stop getting your feelings hurt. You don't just decide one day to not have feelings. Why do young people skip over their parents and go straight to their friends? I'm not suggesting that we should be "besties" with our parents. They deserve respect from us. But they need supporters, encouragers, and listeners just like we do. It's the least we can do for them. 

Our parents are not people that we should "put up" with. They are gifts. God didn't have to give us people who would take care of us, feed us, buy us clothes and pay for our teeth to get fixed. He didn't have to give us two people who would pray for us daily and genuinely want the best things possible for us. But, he did. Our parents have sacrificed their own dreams, hobbies, and pleasure for us. Just let that sink in.

Respecting and obeying our parents doesn't exclude talking with them. Your mom wants you to listen to her; to talk to her. She wants to chat and know that you are interested. And your dad does, too. 

Don't think that your parents just don't understand, and it's better to talk to friends about your life. Not only do your parents care about you more than your friends, but they've been 14 and 17 and 20 and they KNOW. They know what being a young person feels like. Better yet, they love you so much that they will say what you need to hear, not what you want to hear. 

One day I'll move out, and I won't get to stand at the kitchen island and talk to my mom before dinner, or take a drive with Dad while discussing life. I won't have the privilege of sitting on the edge of their bed late at night laughing about something stupid. And even though I take it for granted now, I know that I will probably really miss all of those times.

I hope I can love them half as well as they've loved me.




Comments

Popular Posts