How honest is too honest, and how open is too open? These probing thoughts never bothered me before, but for a while now, I can't shake them. I want to know the answer. What should I tell people,  and what should I keep inside? Or does it even matter?

    Yes. I think it does matter. Every word that comes out of our mouths matters. But how much does it matter? A little? A lot? Life is not black and white, and this fact is also something I battle. Perhaps people have always struggled with it, (and we just don't know about it because they didn't have the opportunity to subtweet) but it seems to me that my generation is especially addicted to telling the world about their problems. (The world being Twitter, Facebook, a blog, or anything that allows us to write vague stuff for all our followers to read and relate, or just read and wonder at our deep thoughts.) Is this right, or is it wrong? On the one hand, maybe we all just want someone to listen to us, to sympathize, to help. On the other hand, that's what people, you know, in real life are for. I get the feeling that young people now days are turning to their internet peeps instead of investing in real life family and friends. (And yes, the fact that I'm writing this on a blog does strike me as ironic. Ha)

     Coming from someone who likes and enjoys Twitter, I am all too aware of how easy it is to put yourself out there on social media. Being "honest/real" is very appealing. BUT. Are we really being that honest or real if we're only honest and real on the internet?

     People like to be vague on Twitter. I am quite familiar with how tempting it is to want to hash it all out on social media. Your followers will listen to you, right?! I've got some news for you: when people respond to your vague tweets of angst and frustration, they really just want to know what the heck you're talking about out of curiosity. I'm not saying that people aren't genuinely concerned. I know they are. Sometimes friends subtweet about life struggles, and I'm honestly troubled for them because I care about their happiness. But, we should invest in real life friendships. We need to be there for the people IN our lives, and hopefully they will be there for us in return.

    So, this is a reminder to myself and anyone else who needs one -- be the same person online as you are in person. You don't need gaggles of friends. You need real friends who are loyal and honest and actually care. But remember, you can't expect to have friends that fit this description if you're not willing to fit it yourself. Be honest and open. It is okay for people to know your struggles and flaws. It brings us closer to each other when we tell our friends these things and ask for prayer. Be a good listener and pray for your friends, and give without expecting something in return.

     Basically, treat others like you want to be treated. Easy, huh?



   

Comments

Popular Posts