Suffering

     From time to time, I think about all the hard things I've gone through, and it always boils down to one thought.

     But before I say what that thought is, I must admit that my sufferings have been few in number, and compared to some people's, they are very little. I know that others, even some of my own friends, have been through things far more difficult and painful than I have.

And now, my thought:

     I'm glad that all of the "bad" things in my life happened. I'm thankful for them. Why? Because now I can sympathize with suffering people. I don't think, "Hmm, that must be tough." Instead, I know what it feels like to hurt.

     When a family is struggling financially, I don't think that the dad isn't trying hard enough to find work. I don't shake my head and think how lazy they must be. I feel their pain. I know what it's like to pray for grocery money that week, to watch your parents stress about making payments. It takes a toll on a family. And I understand that. If I hadn't been through the same thing, I wouldn't think to pray for them.

     When someone is really missing someone else, I don't think he should suck it up and move on. I now know what missing someone feels like and I can hurt with that person. Though I may not be able to fix his or her problem, I can be there. Rejoicing with someone is easy, but it's harder to weep with those who weep. As Christians, though, I think it's important that we can do this. So often, I haven't been there for friends when they needed comfort, sympathy, or even just someone to sit and cry with them.


Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning. And furthermore:

We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed. - Corinthians 4:8-9

     
     Thank you, Jesus.

     
     

Comments

Popular Posts